If a take-back or mail back program is not available to you, most unused or expired medications can be disposed of in your household trash.
Here are recommended steps to follow:
* Remove your unwanted medication from the original container.
* Mix the Medication (do not crush tablets or capsules) with an undesirable substance such as cat litter, dirt, flour or used coffee grounds.
* Place the mixture in a container such as a sealed plastic bag or empty margarine tub.
* Throw the container in your household trash.
* DO NOT FLUSH OR POUR DOWN THE DRAIN. Keeping prescription and over-the-counter medication out of the environment is VERY important. After being flushed or poured down a drain, many medicines pass through sewer and septic systems. Because these systems cannot always treat or remove the medicines, they may end up in streams, lakes and groundwater. This can cause adverse effects in fish and other aquatic wildlife, as well as unintentional human exposure.